Thursday, April 25, 2019

Mistress Lilly's New Shoes

Writing in Audiogon, I said that sometimes we treat our audio gear like a Mistress who demands ever more expensive shoes. We accessories and pamper our gear endlessly sometimes with limited returns.

As it turns out, I named my new integrated, a Luxman 507ux, "Lilly." So, this is an article about her new shoes, or in this case, a power cord I built using components from Parts Connexion and Parts Express.  You can see a picture below, next to the Wireworld Eclipse 6 Gold balanced cables feeding from my DAC.

How does it sound? Um, fine? Honestly I can't hear a big difference between it and a random 16 gauge power cord I was using, probably from a PC.

Still, there's no question the components are high quality. As I recommended in a previous blog, the cable is shielded to minimize picking up random RFI signals from the Cable TV, USB, and other nearby wifi sources. Overall consumable parts cost was around $135 if you are buying everything. Tools required:

  • Fine Phillips head for the connector's assembly
  • Coarse Phillips screwdriver for the wires
  • Wire stripper
  • Utility knife  to cut the outer sheath
  • Hot knife to cut the Techflex. I use this accessory and a soldering gun.
  • Hot air gun 
Consumables:


If you change the cable, pay attention to the outer diameter, as the parts listed are a pretty tight fit.



No comments:

Post a Comment